Wednesday, July 18, 2012

TFCRL 0.0.1

The Four (forty?) Challenges Roguelike release 0.0.1

Instead of a lengthy post on design decisions for what I want this roguelike to be, I opted instead for a relatively quick and dirty post in the interests of getting stuff out there. At the moment it is more of a tech demo than game, but this should change over the next few months. My hopes is that this blog encourages me to put out updates quickly and often.

Interesting(?) feature list so far:
  • Line of sight algorithm implementation - As this was something I did with almost zero research, I am surprised at how well it turned out to be honest. It seems fast enough for a java implementation. Only problem is the lack of sight range of long walls when a character is right next to them. I plan of fixing this if it seems to create too many problems. Included is a basic map for looking at the line of sight stuff.
  • Completely customizable controls - A feature that I feel is lacking from roguelikes I play is a customizable control set. Mine should allow a player to remap (almost) any key to any function in the game. It should also be easy to make presets, and I plan to have presets for some of the basic roguelike control schemes. (angband, nethack, adom, ect)
After putting down this feature list it sadly doesn't seem to be very much. Most of what I have done so far though is lay the groundwork for more features down the line. This should hopefully pay off with increased speed of development.

Special thanks to Slash and his wonderful java roguelike library! http://slashie.net/libjcsi/


If you would like to try out what I have created:

Download runnable .jar file and source code at: http://minus.com/lf95EHYK5b4Hr



No comments:

Post a Comment